Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Scottsdale provides solution for families unable to keep their kids home when the new school year starts
Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Scottsdale (BGCS) announced that they will extend full-day programs after the start of the school year to provide Facilitated Virtual Learning at five Valley Club locations for families that are not able to keep their children home.
“With the recent announcement that the upcoming school year will begin with remote learning, many parents are left scrambling to figure out how they will be able to work and keep their young children home, let alone facilitate their online schooling,” said Robyn Julien, BGCS President and CEO. “I am very proud to announce that we will continue to adapt and provide the essential services needed by our families and our community.”
Beginning August 5, full-day school year programming will be available at the Hartley & Ruth Barker Branch in south Scottsdale, the Mary Ellen & Robert McKee Branch in Fountain Hills, the Virginia G. Piper Branch in the Scottsdale Ranch neighborhood, the Thunderbirds Branch in the Grayhawk Community, and the Vestar Branch in Desert Ridge. New members are being accepted; however, space is limited to assure physical distancing. Register online at www.bgcs.org/clubconnect.
- Kids/teens will need to bring their own tech devices and headphones. Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Scottsdale will provide the WIFI and staff to assist with technology setup and troubleshooting.
- Kids/teens will take part in regular Club activities when schoolwork is complete.
- A current $25 annual membership is required for all kids and teens who attend the Club.
- Facilitated Virtual Learning programming for youth ages 5-12 is $179 per week or $40 a day for those families who only need a few days a week. Registration is required a week in advance to receive the day rate to ensure time to adequately staff and be prepared for physical distancing needs.
- Teens participating in Facilitated Virtual Learning programs will be charged $50 per week.
The following safety procedures are in place at Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Scottsdale:
- Curbside drop-offs and pickups in the front of all open Clubs to limit non-members and non-staff from entering the facilities
- All members and staff have their body temperature taken with no-touch thermometers prior to entering the building
- Hand sanitizer is required for all entering the building
- Planned/spaced hand washing for members between rotations
- Hourly disinfecting of high touch areas
- Programming that is physical distancing conscious
- Field trips and external outings have been canceled until further notice
- No entry into the Clubs from parents/outside guests/volunteers who do not provide direct services to members
- Professional regularly scheduled sanitization of Clubs
- Facial coverings (covering nose and mouth) required for members and staff
Since reopening on May 18 after a two-month closure to help slow the spread of COVID-19, BGCS has operated with a comprehensive safety plan in place following CDC and local health guidelines. The youth development organization has been providing essential services for parents who have not been able to keep their children home this summer.
“We have been operating Summer Camp effectively with our new safety procedures in place for over two months now,” explained Julien. “We are in the unique position to be able to control the Club environment including the number of people in the building to ensure physical distancing with our programming and regular handwashing for the kids. Our youth are learning great healthy lessons that will serve them well especially when schools return to in-person learning.”
To learn more about Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Scottsdale or programming offered, please visit www.bgcs.org.
Hartley & Ruth Barker Branch
2311 N. Miller Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85257
Mary Ellen & Robert McKee Branch
14605 N. Del Cambre Avenue
Fountain Hills, AZ 85268
20199 N. 78th Place
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
3975 E. Lockwood Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85050
Virginia G. Piper Branch
10515 E. Lakeview Drive
Scottsdale, AZ 85258